If you want to know what the top ten colors for Spring 2017 fashion are, who do you turn to. Every year, Pantone comes out with what they call the “Color of the Year”. This is a color that they feel, through observation, is being used the most not only in fashion but in home goods, technology, architecture, and general use. They usually announce a color of the year in the December preceding that year. For 2017, the color of the year is Greenery. You can see a sample of this color below.
Fashion is only one of the inputs used in deciding this overall honor so part of the process of coming up with the color of the year is to come up with the top colors for fashion seasons. Below is a glance at the top ten colors for Spring 2017 as researched by Pantone. Experts at Pantone say that they visit all the runway shows in New York, Paris, Milan, etc. and see what colors designers are using and then rank them by prevalence.
The top ten colors for Spring 2017 fashion are:
- Pantone 17-4123 Niagra: Niagra is a denim-like blue that evokes feelings of comfort, relaxation, and lazy Saturday afternoons. It is the most widely used color in the top ten colors for Spring 2017 fashion indicating that maybe designers are starting to design for comfort rather than purely aesthetics.
- Pantone 13-0755 Primrose Yellow: Primrose Yellow is a bright and vibrant yellow sparkles and makes you think of sunny days, flowers, and bright nature elements. It is the perfect color for spring and summer the seasons of new beginnings and life.
- Pantone 19-4045 Lapis Blue: Navy blue is a fashion staple, but Lapis Blue is the third of the top ten colors for Spring 2017 and this intense take on navy is a way for traditionalists to broaden their fashion pallet without feeling too out of place. Lapis Blue is strong and confident but also has an energy to it that turns the staunch feelings evoked by navy into something more fun.
- Pantone 17-1462 Flame: Flame is a red-fused orange color that really turns on the heat! You cannot be ignored in clothing of this flamboyant color. Flame is a color that you might find paired with other colors or in prints more than in a monochromatic piece because it is so vibrant.
- Pantone 14-4620 Island Paradise: Island Paradise is a cool refreshing blue green aqua color. It makes you think of the color of the ocean in secluded island getaways. Just thinking about those places makes you want to relax and kick back. Island Paradise colored clothing will do the same.
- Pantone 13-1404 Pale Dogwood: Pale Dogwood is a pale pink color that is peaceful, innocent, and pure. It has a very soft touch and makes the person wearing it almost glow. Pale Dogwood is softer, but it makes me think of last year’s color of the year, Rose Quartz. It is quite common for the top ten colors for Spring to be similar from year to year.
- Pantone 15-0343 Greenery: While Greenery was named the Pantone Color of the Year, it was only the seventh most popular color in fashion for Spring 2017. Greenery is a yellow-green color that summons images of new spring foliage and makes us want to explore the great outdoors and reinvent ourselves. You can see that there is a theme of nature colors running throughout the Spring palette.
- Pantone 17-2034 Pink Yarrow: Unlike Pale Dogwood, Pink Yarrow is a pink that will make you get noticed. A bright tropical shade that makes the wearer feel whimsical and bold. If you need a pick-me-up this spring then you might want to slip into a garment in this color because just having it around you makes you feel more alive and stimulated.
- Pantone 18-0107 Kale: Kale is yet another foliage shade that is a more leafy green that can be used in combination with most of the other colors in the palette as a background color. Kale is a color that makes you want to live a healthy lifestyle and connect with the nature around you. It is not as vivacious as Greenery, but similar.
- Pantone 14-1315 Hazelnut: Hazelnut is the perfect color to round out the Spring 2017 color palette because it is a neutral tone that can be used in almost any type of garment and in combination with almost any other color. It also brings to mind earthy feelings and has a warmth to it that is a little better than a classic tan. In addition to being versatile in the Spring and Summer color scheme, Hazelnut will also be popular in Fall and Winter fashions so it is the perfect transition color.